Our client is a diversified real estate developer and builder with expertise in land acquisition, homebuilding, community design, entitlements and office, R&D and retail development. Our client has secured and invested approximately $500 million in equity and has successfully entitled over 5,000 residential lots.
Our client is seeking to fill a Purchasing Agent position to play a critical role in construction activities for building single family and multi-family residential homes based in their office in Newport Beach, CA.
The Purchasing Agent will supervise the creation and upkeep of Product Specifications, Scopes of Work, bidding of new communities, maintenance of all existing contract issues, budget updates and jobsite variances. The ideal candidate should thrive managing multiple complex transactions and demonstrate the ability to work independently, think critically, exercise good judgement, and take initiative. Applicants must be willing to 'roll up their sleeves' on the job and embrace new subject areas and undertake tasks outside their prior experience with enthusiasm and confidence.
This person will be responsible for
- Main point of contact for bidding and contracting all trades.
- Take full responsibility for bidding, negotiating, and hiring trade contractors to maintain a competitive edge on costs while meeting the company"s standards of quality, reliability, and overall performance of trade contractors and suppliers.
- Communicate with Project Management in a proactive manner to ensure that all necessary plans are obtained and bid in a timely manner. Verify any special considerations are budgeted/bid/contracted (e.g., acoustical report, conditions of approval, enhanced elevations, fuel modifications, methane requirements, etc.)
- Prepare Preliminary Product Specifications for new projects to meet spec level and pro forma budget considerations. Match existing standard specifications for projects, materials, and details to ensure consistency throughout all projects.
- Interface with Architects, Structural Engineers and other third-party experts on product development and innovation.
- Calculate and maintain material take-offs (lumber, finish materials, steel, concrete, etc.) from working drawings and check take-offs made by suppliers.
- Compare bids with respect to prices, past performance (quality, ability to work on schedule, proper supervision) financial stability, or in the case of a trade contactor new to the company, their relationship with other builders.
- Understand bids based on unitized pricing and be able to analyze accordingly.
- Prepare direct construction budget for each community based on overall mix.
- Analyze bids and proposals to ensure they are complete and comparable. Negotiate contracts to ensure best pricing and performance.
- Obtain alternate costs and hourly rates as needed to fully contract potential changes to the contract requirements and for time-and-material work.
- Update budgets as contracts are awarded to ensure current information.
- Contract all site variances and issue Site Variance Purchase Orders accordingly.
- Study and understand all current plans and specifications.
- Review new products and Vendors to identify opportunities for improved quality and cost effectiveness for cost analysis and consideration on future projects or specifications.
- Recruit new, qualified trade contractors and suppliers, in addition to facilitating the improvement of existing trade contractor and supplier relationships.
- Validate and eliminate variances to the Direct Construction Budget.
- Attend model walks and facilitate consistent communication of design changes.
- Contract specialty Trade Contractors for Model Designers
- Supervise accurate maintenance of 'Subcontractor List'.
- Participate in Frame Walks to document changes to existing contracts based on authorized Frame Walk changes
- Research new procedures, products, and methods of construction available to improve efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
- Participate in field walks to physically inspect installations to ensure that they match the contract specifications.
- Coordinate plan review process with production team, trade partners and design professionals.
- Maintain trade Scopes of Work to ensure that they match the project plans and specifications.
- Maintain open communication with on-site Construction Manager.
- 4 Year University Degree - Business, Economics, Construction Management, Supply Chain Management or equivalent required
- 2 - 5 years of construction experience with a production homebuilder
- Strong Knowledge of and experience with general contract terms and conditions
- Necessary people skills, including the capability to handle various personalities and develop professional relationship.
- Knowledge of residential construction required in both single family and multi-family construction.
- Technologically savvy with strong aptitude for learning new software.
- Solid verbal & written communication, with the ability to take complex concepts and communicate accurately and persuasively.
- Strong ability to work within a team-setting, inclusive of other's ideas, and a willingness to cooperate.
- Knowledge of unitized pricing, bids and subsequent contract analysis.
- Experience in take-offs and estimates.
- Ability to read blueprints.
- Capacity to make quick and accurate decisions based heavily on facts, data and/or metrics.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook as well as proficiency in builder"s software such as Build Pro, Newstar, F.A.S.T., On Location, Vendorlink or other pertinent software.
- Ability to conduct business in a professional and ethical manner to potential buyers, trade partners, external officials, and coworkers to reinforce goodwill and profitability for the company
Apply now for immediate and confidential consideration!
Our client offers a comprehensive benefits package for qualified employees which includes 100 % of employee Medical coverage, Dental, Vision, 401k program, direct deposit, and more
PTS is an Equal Opportunity Employer