PTS is currently seeking a Systems Administrator for a contract-to-hire role in Krotz Springs, LA.
Position Summary: Responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, and virtualization. Install and upgrade computer components and software, maintain virtual servers, troubleshoot hardware and software errors, document problems and resolutions. Monitor regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures. Assist with desktop support efforts to ensure all desktop applications, workstations, and related equipment problems are resolved in a timely manner with limited disruption to end users.
Education Requirement: Associate or Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, System Administration, or a closely related field, or equivalent experience required. System administration and IT certifications in Microsoft, or other network related fields are a plus.
Experience Requirement: Working knowledge of virtualization, VMWare, strong knowledge of systems and networking software, hardware, and networking protocols, 5+ years of database, network administration, or system administration experience, Microsoft Office products, relational databases, Windows Operating Systems, and/or direct computing support activities including knowledge of equipment, application software, and operating system software required.
Excellent communication skills required to interact with internal and external contacts as well as all levels of management.
Demonstrate thorough understanding of primary function/system for an area, understanding both functional and technical knowledge, ability to diagnose complex problems and handle multiple problems simultaneously that may cross multiple departments/systems and impact numerous end users or areas of the business, ability to prioritize and work autonomously, ability to formulate new or better process or ideas, establish effective working relationships and communicate appropriately according to level of understanding, and ability to lead and/or attend meetings to represent area.
Ability to identify an issue, analyze, and research the problem, and begin to formulate a solution and/or recommendation.
Refinery business and operations knowledge preferred.
- Work on complex applications systems analysis and software systems programming applications or configuration.
- Conduct research to learn current trends in technology, generate improvement suggestions, and present findings to supervisors.
- Develop training material/documentation.
- Train others in the work group as required.
- Provide on-site support of computing hardware and software, to include the most complex needs analysis, configuration, installation, moves, and changes for location.
- Perform research and repair activity, including vendor coordination, necessary to ensure computer service for all supported locations.
- Identify, isolate, and repair of equipment and software effecting computer network service to all supported locations.
- Test applications and equipment.
- Evaluate new and existing software products.
- Some travel may be required.
- Other duties as required may be assigned.