Ferndale, WA Posted: 3/31/2021
The Turnaround Superintendent reports to the Turnaround Manager and has key responsibilities in ensuring that refinery turnaround activities are performed safely and environmentally compliant within schedule and budget commitments. For major turnarounds, these responsibilities may include overseeing critical work and scope categories such as all piping jobs, leading selection and strategy for contracted services, coordinating activities across functional teams, schedule management, managing turnaround execution during nightshifts, etc. The turnaround superintendent may assume additional responsibilities and have separate reporting structures within routine maintenance and / or capital projects outside of major turnarounds.
The person filling this position is very detail oriented and knowledgeable regarding facility maintenance and major project activities. This position requires the ability to resolve or mitigate complex challenges, provide sound direction including making key decisions, and ability to effectively manage resources internal and external to the organization. Initiative, independent thought and judgment, and demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work with minimal supervision is a must in this position.
Responsibilities May Include
- Demonstrates commitment to safety and health excellence through strong personal engagement, recognizing and stopping unsafe behavior, recognizing and eliminating safety hazards, following safe practices and procedures, and striving for continuous improvement of safety in the refinery.
- Leads and ensures compliance with safety policies and regulatory rules, such as incident reporting, incident investigations, Job Safety Analysis (JSA), Process Safety Management (PSM), safety meetings, safety and housekeeping audits, and environmental compliance requirements.
- Champions key objectives during turnaround planning phases including critical path scope, major scope categories such as piping or coatings, capital project integration, interdepartmental coordination, and the selection and strategy of contracted services.
- Assists turnaround manager and turnaround leads in long range planning, engineering, job planning, schedule development, logistics, labor and material management, cost control, management of change, site communications, training, etc.
- Leads turnaround execution in one or more capacities including championing key objectives, area (block) lead assignment, nightshift manager, etc. while ensuring effective handovers and organizational objectives for safety, quality, productivity, schedule, and budget are met.
- Resolves, mitigates, and makes sound decisions for challenges that arise during planning or execution including scope changes, inspection discoveries, safety concerns, handover delays, resource challenges, etc.
- Motivates and builds trust with both internal and external organizations.
- Legally authorized to work in the job posting country
- Associates degree or Industrial trade certification or higher
- 10 or more years of experience in a turnaround, maintenance, or construction role in a refinery
- 5 or more years of Supervisory experience within an industrial environment
- Previous experience managing turnarounds, projects, or routine maintenance with direct budget responsibilities of at least $30MM
- Willing and able to perform and comply with the following:
- Travel up to 5% of the time
- Work extended hours, which may include evenings, weekends and holidays
- Be on call 24/7/365
- Respond to refinery emergencies during off-hours
- Work safely near large, hot, high-speed machines
- Climb ladders and stairs up to 200 feet in height
- Transport articles up to 50 pounds
- Work around chemicals, including acids and bases
- Work around hydrocarbons under high pressure and heat
- Work outside in harsh weather conditions
- Wear fire retardant clothing and personal protective equipment (such as steel-toe shoes, ear and eye protection.)
- Maintain your face daily so that a respirator/face mask can seal properly (some examples include being free of facial hair and/or clean shaven)
- Possess a valid Driver"s License
- Willing and able to obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC). Information can be found at https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic
- Bachelor"s degree in Engineering or Construction Management
- Demonstrated strong leadership within a refinery environment
- Experience with building trade or other collective bargaining agreements
- Successful budget management experience of $100MM or higher over a 12 month or less period
- Strong working knowledge of machinery, tooling, heavy equipment, welding, vendors, contract resources, and craft disciplines
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, P&ID, equipment drawings, operating and equipment maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization
- Ability to apply basic mathematical concept and procedures such as percentages, interest rates, and commissions to work
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Knowledge of SAP, P6, and CAD applications
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Strong and effective communication skills (verbal and written) in both individual and group settings
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work well with others
- Working knowledge of PSM
- Working knowledge of safe work practices
- Strong interpersonal skills to facilitate work with both hourly and salaried employees
Already have an account? Log in here