Sr. Electrical Engineer
San Jose, CA Posted: 3/16/2021
Our Client is a global consultant who is seeking a Sr. Electrical Engineer with high voltage power experience. This person will support Engineering, Design, and Facility Shut Down procedures for a high tech research facility in the San Jose area.
Skills and Professional Expertise:
- Bachelor of science or graduate degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution; Licensed professional engineer preferred
- Minimum of 10 years facilities experience in a complex setting applying the principles that govern the operation, design, construction, and commissioning of building and campus electrical infrastructure
- Demonstrated project management skills required for complex electrical infrastructure projects, including project scope development, budgeting, and scheduling
- Ability to generate and review field switching procedures
- Understanding of selective coordination and arc flash studies
- Knowledge of building management systems and power monitoring systems
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local regulations and codes, such as IEEE, IEC, NFPA70, NFPA70E, NFPA101, etc.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software. Ability to read and annotate blueprints.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Proven problem solving and analytical skills, being able to quickly size up an issue, make recommendations to management, and lead in the implementation of solutions.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work well in a team environment with suppliers, vendors, contractors, and customers
- Possess the ability to climb ladders, stairs, and other temporary or construction access points and be able to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee and serve as expert on site electrical and fire/life safety systems (including high voltage and electrical distribution systems, systems controls, all base building services and critical utilities) and their interaction with other building systems. Provide guidance on all aspects of how these systems should be operated and maintained to meet codes, ensure reliability, reduce costs, and address failures. Act as the main contact for the local power utility.
- Plan and coordinate site infrastructure shutdowns of electrical systems. Assist with technical review of field switching procedures and arc flash studies.
- Identify cost effective approaches for necessary upgrades and replacements of electrical equipment (including main 115KV electrical substations, 12KV lineups, and the 480V substations) and provide input to capital planning activities.
- Develop work scopes and cost estimates for both small and large design and construction projects involving electrical systems. Consult with internal customers on technical requirements for their space, including research and development labs
- Review electrical designs and submittals by outside engineering firms. Provide support for all construction and commissioning activities to ensure work is done in accordance with codes and in the best interests of the Client.
- Investigate causes and provide consultation when electrical incidents occur (e.g. power dips, surges, outages) to FSV and Client teams.
- Review power monitoring systems (PME) data to proactively troubleshoot and optimize electrical systems operation. Direct and oversee maintenance and upgrade activities by PME technicians and vendors.
- Assist with identifying and developing energy savings opportunities such as lighting upgrades, VFDs, and solar power generation.
- Act as site Fire Marshall, ensuring that the sites meet all appropriate life safety requirements, recommending upgrades as necessary to the fire alarm and toxic gas systems. Consult with both FSV and security personnel as necessary regarding operational issues. Interface with the City of San Jose Fire Department during inspections. Act as the focal point for Factory Mutual during their site reviews.
- Ensure that the fire suppression system meets code and recommend upgrades/additional maintenance as required. This includes fire system piping, valving, and sprinkler configurations
Already have an account? Log in here