Instrumentation Technician (Electrical Technician)
We are seeking an Instrumentation Technician at our manufacturing facility in Dallas, Texas. This position performs instrumentation activities pertaining to automation, reliability standards, inspection, preventive maintenance and continuous improvement.
Summary of essential job functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may also be assigned.
- Provides support within the electrical maintenance group.
- Designs new plant equipment or modifies existing equipment as directed.
- Programs new plant equipment or modifies existing programs as directed.
- Provides technical information concerning calibration, programming and machine setup.
- Confers with plant personnel to resolve problems.
- Prepares system layouts, detailed drawings and schematics.
- Tests equipment for safety and efficiency.
- Identifies parts needed for electrical maintenance and repair projects, and obtains these parts from the parts room.
- Transports parts and equipment between work projects in progress.
- Uses electrical hand tools, voltage and amperage measuring and recording devices.
- Performs electrical repairs on various types of electrical equipment per SOP"s and PM"s.
- Performs electrical and controls layouts, updates and creates electrical drawings either on paper OR in AutoCad (AutoCad is not a requisite skill), creates and modifies PLC and HMI programs. Selects, installs, configures and calibrates instruments and devices.
- Bends, hangs and runs conduit where needed. Pulls electrical cable and wire in conduit. Transports and stacks conduit and electrical wire as needed.
- Operates various shop equipment such as welding machines, grinders, drill press, vertical mill, saws, lathe, etc.
- Trains operators on new systems and updates LOTO and SOP information.
- Performs work on equipment requiring electrical and mechanical skills.
- Performs work on demand by answering radio calls inside the plant area to resolve mechanical and electrical issues.
- Works rotating shifts, including nights and weekends, and overtime as required.
- High school diploma or GED required. Associate"s degree from a two year college or university preferred.
- One to two years related experience preferred.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
The physical requirements/work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The job is subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be exposed to moving mechanical systems and around/near energized electrical systems while following necessary safety procedures and wearing appropriate PPE.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to position himself/herself to operate, inspect, troubleshoot, repair, and/or or maintain heavy plant equipment. This may require climbing stairs/ladders, bending, kneeling, crawling, and/or stooping. The employee must be able to inspect equipment and detect equipment malfunctions, as well as utilize tools to repair and maintain equipment.
- Employees may be exposed to fumes, odors, and airborne particles. PPE will be required as necessary. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, extreme heat, vibration, and confined spaces. A respirator may be required at times. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud, and hearing protection is provided and required to be worn at all times while working in the facility.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan and other benefits.