Controls Engineer II / III
Joplin, MO Posted: 3/3/2021
Controls Engineer II /III
Our client is seeking a Controls Engineer to work at within an hour of one of our manufacturing facilities at various U.S. locations. The Controls Engineer will provide support to all manufacturing locations by optimizing the efficiency, reliability, and automation of new and existing web handling production processes with special emphasis on Siemens 505 series PLCs and S7 PLCs.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may also be assigned.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the company's Manufacturing Playbook and Playlist. Support and apply the Playbook/Playlist in all areas.
- Demonstrate fundamental knowledge of Tuning, synchronizing, and sequencing Siemens drives in web handling applications in support of reliability and automation efforts. Drive systems include S110, G120 and S120 Siemens Drive systems, Micromaster, Baldor 18h series, various AC vector and low-voltage systems, DC drives (Joliet, Parker, Siemens, etc.) and others.
- Read and troubleshoot machine electrical drawings.
- Configure PLC message instructions and network settings.
- Develop Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), controls narratives, and testing protocols for new and existing systems.
- Develop basic PLC programs and operator interfaces in accordance with company"s Programming Standards to include the development and use of all documentation requirements, use of modular programming, use of company"s Object Oriented Programming Library, state logic diagrams and state logic programming, version control, and established security requirements.
- Work with Plant Systems, manufacturing facilities, and other organizations to develop enterprise wide hardware, programming, and documentation standards for controls and drives systems.
- Mentor and assist with the training of controls specialists, electricians, electrical engineers at company's Engineering & Construction division, Plant Systems and the manufacturing facilities.
- Work with outside contractors and consultants on specifying equipment, controls, drives and system installs as necessary.
- Maintain awareness of new capabilities and technologies as they relate to controls, drives and web handling. When applicable, lead the implementation and adoption of new technologies.
- Generate business for plant systems by developing and maintaining relationships with key plant personnel and discussing potential projects while on site. Be customer oriented and remain engaged with the customer even after a job is complete.
- Bachelor"s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent.
- 2+ years of industry experience with web-handling applications and controls/drives programming.
- Basic knowledge of web handling production processes.
- Fundamental knowledge of manufacturing systems.
- Analytical thinker with problem solving/troubleshooting skills.
- Basic knowledge of Siemens, Simatic, and Simotion drives and controls (emphasis on S120s).
- Working knowledge of other drives/controllers (i.e. Micromaster, Baldor 18h).
- PLC logic development (Primarily Siemens 505 and Step 7 (S7) Series Systems).
- Participate in a rotational monitoring of emergency support requests up to 15% of the time.
- Mechanical/electrical systems knowledge.
- Schematic proficiency.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and SCADA systems.
- Travel up to 15% of the time.
- Complete company provided training including Siemens refresher courses, web handling seminars, equipment seminars/tradeshows and OSHA training.
- Optimization skills for Siemens S120 drive systems and Wonderware object-oriented HMI development in System Platform preferred.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly remain in a stationary position for long periods. The employee will also be required to traverse the office and plant production floors.
- This job is subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes, odors and airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, extreme heat, vibration and confined spaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to acidic or caustic chemicals. A respirator may be required at times. The noise level in the work environment varies from loud to quiet, with hearing protection provided.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan, and other benefits.
Already have an account? Log in here