Manufacturing Mechanical Engineer - Frederick MD
Evaluate manufacturing machinery and all auxiliary support machinery performance at a multi production line, high speed asphalt roofing manufacturing facility. Develop data to identify quantifiable improvements and manage those identified improvements to the manufacturing machinery or production process from concept through commissioning and product run, measuring and documenting results. Facilitate change management and documentation deliverables such as engineering drawings, manuals, and spare parts lists.
Summary of essential job functions
Our client, is seeking an innovative, self-directed, ideal team player, capable of identifying and prioritizing with a team of other engineers the workload and resources necessary to resolve problems and continually improve production lines in as asphalt roofing manufacturing facility. A successful candidate must have the motivation to excel in each essential function described herein. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Works well with a team of Engineers, Operations, and Maintenance personnel to quickly resolve problems to promote production up time with minimal waste.
- Lead or participate as a Subject Matter Expert on teams both locally to our manufacturing facility, and as company wide representation across manufacturing facilities.
- Driven toward results and managing changes of varying customer focus.
- Evaluate and lead improvements to manufacturing processes
- Evaluate and lead improvements to electro-mechanical systems on machinery exposed to abrasive materials.
- Evaluate and lead improvements to manufacturing process streamlining and process capability
- Evaluate and lead improvements to plant support systems (compressed air, steam cycle, thermal fluids, etc.)
- Project Manager utilizing our client's Project Management Process and Tracking System for all assignments:
- Write project specifications for vendor bids, including project scope development
- Provide appropriate project justification and cost-benefit analysis when appropriate for project proposals.
- Communicate and train on all changes and improvements to the customer
- Facilitate change management and documentation of all improvements
- Lead discussions to prioritize and rapidly resolve emergent issues directly affecting production lines
- Apply engineering principles to drive data-based decision-making practices.
Minimum Requirements for Consideration
- Bachelor"s Degree in an engineering field from an accredited university (Mechanical or Systems Engineering Preferred)
- Minimum of 7 years post-secondary education PROFESSIONAL experience relevant to position summary and job functions of this Mechanical Engineer opening.
- Expert user of 3D Computer Aided Drafting software, AutoCAD Inventor Preferred
- Proficient in reading and creating P&ID"s, and Electrical one-line diagrams
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office and SAP.
- Desire to work in a field environment, hands on with machinery and production processes
- Proficient in the use of hand tools and precision measurement devices
- Ability to effectively present and communicate project concepts, solutions, justification, and results to maintenance/operations personnel, peers, plant management.
- Apply data mining and engineering principles to identify and resolve recurring process issues.
Preferred Experience - Not required for application but will benefit consideration:
- Experience in roofing manufacturing or web process handling
- Experience in balance of plant system design/maintenance/reliability
- Field service engineer or technician background
- Operating engineer experience
- PLC controls logic understanding
- PID controls loop understanding
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work duties will be divided between an office environment and the production floor. Employee will be required to wear all plant-mandatory PPE when on production floor, including: hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe boots, ear protection, and face covering as per CDC and State guidelines.
- Safety is a Top Priority - Employee is responsible not only for his/her safety but also for the safety of peers.
- Production facility is a 24/7 operation, and as such, the role may require occasional extended-hour days to aide in troubleshooting, project implementation and/or training. Plant management works with employees to ensure adequate comp time is provided when the situation arises.
- Production facility is prone to temperature fluctuations according to ambient seasonal changes.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to write, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear. The employee is required to sit inside the cab of several kinds of powered industrial vehicles such as forklifts, front end loaders and man lifts. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- This job is subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes, odors or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, extreme heat, vibration and confined spaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to acidic or caustic chemicals. A respirator may be required at times. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud, with hearing protection provided.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan and other benefits.
Our client is one of the nation"s largest independent manufacturers of residential and commercial roofing products, decking and railing products, waterproofing, cements and coatings. With more than 70 years in the industry, company's success is the direct result of teamwork and enduring relationships with customers, suppliers and employees. Privately owned, our client is committed to producing quality products with superior product support.