PTS Advance, working with a leading refining client, is seeking a Production Superintendent for a long-term assignment in Tyler, TX.
The Production Superintendent directly manages day-to-day operation and is accountable for ensuring reliable and cost-effective operation of assigned processing areas including multiple process units, logistics, and utilities. The Production Superintendent is a key member of leadership and as such is instrumental in establishing and promoting a culture focused on safe, environmentally compliant, and reliable operations. This role provides oversight for the overall operation, sets priorities for personnel safety, process safety, environmental, reliability; and directs efforts of support staff including maintenance planning & execution, and technical support. This role evaluates plant performance, implements recommendations for reliability improvements and cost optimization, and champions initiatives in support of long-term sustainable profitability of the refinery.
• Manage and lead the activities of the Shift Team to ensure process safety, safety, environmental, reliability, and cost optimization goals of the refinery are achieved
• Champion initiatives, projects, and programs that support refinery vision.
• Utilize sound human relations and communications skills to provide development of direct reports and motivation of staff resulting in a reliable and competent work force.
• Accountable for ensuring process safety and safety compliance by supporting process hazard analysis, leading incident investigations, owning procedure development and improvement, owning management of change, ensuring emergency response preparedness, supporting alarm management, and providing assistance for work scope development, and assessment of operability requirements for design consideration.
• Accountable for ensuring environmental compliance while meeting or exceeding federal, state, corporate and industry standards, and leading practices in Safety, Environmental, and Quality. Support environmental calculations, establish operating parameters, and provide input into permit development.
• Continually improve safety and environmental record by addressing both physical safety issues and employee safety attitudes. Set and maintain exceptional housekeeping standards
• Develop and implement annual business plans (financial, safety, environment, quality, personnel, etc.) in alignment with refinery and corporate objectives.
• Support turnaround and unit shutdown planning and execution through active participation in scope development, providing justification for work items, development of shutdown/startup and outage timelines, and active leadership during the event.
• Develops and manages the operating budgets for area of responsibility and supports other departments with planning for costs
• Develop and implement long range plans to ensure long term reliability, optimization and profitability of the refinery.
• Monitor progress towards goals, ensuring actions are in place and sufficient when progress is not on track to achieve goals
• Participate in the communication process between operations and maintenance as to what jobs are to be performed on a given shift.
• Coordinate the management of personnel and the status of work activities within unit battery limits with outside unit personnel.
• Assure that collective bargaining agreements are effectively administered and that employee grievances are addressed in a timely fashion
• Responsible for assuring all company policies, rules and guidelines are being followed and administered in a fair and consistent manner. Provide direct assistance to Human Resources for all employee issues
• Evaluate equipment and processes to identify ways to optimize performance or to ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations
• Oversee the operator training of new and existing staff to ensure team is fully trained in, committed to, and conduct their activities in accordance with all aspects of Company safety and quality requirements
• Addresses routine personnel issues including training, coaching, and counseling and disciplining subordinates
• Coordinate with maintenance to schedule equipment down time for maintenance shutdowns and preventative maintenance
• Maintain and improve housekeeping in all areas
• Other duties as assigned
• Enters all control of defeats
• Enters all open single points of failure
• Updates hand-held operator round compliance
• Updates daily catalyst use
• Updates Alky acid consumption
• Enters total city gas usage
• Updates Operation overtime
• Ensures MOP is being met
• Ensures all UTL entries are entered
• Ensures four-hour proactive monitoring is entered
• Ensures environmental compliance
• Two (2) years of experience in Manufacturing, preferably in Refining including experience in a supervisory/management role or military equivalent experience
• Demonstrated values of honesty and integrity, respect for others, teamwork and collaboration, accountability and performance
• Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion, integrity and the highest degree of confidentiality
• Strong working knowledge in process safety programs including mechanical integrity, incident investigations, process hazard analysis, management of change, procedure development, and emergency response.
• Demonstrated capability in successfully leading change management and implementing programs
• Experience in chemical/refining processes including distillation, heater operation, process control, utilities and laboratory analysis.
• Proven ability to lead and influence direct staff and staff not under direct supervision.
• Experienced in economic decision making and in development of operating budgets.
• Excellent communication skills including ability to develop and deliver presentations.
• Proficient in utilizing computer and Microsoft Office applications including MS Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
• Ability to interact effectively and positively with all levels of Company personnel
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to anticipate and adapt to dynamic situations
• Must pass drug test and background check
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
• Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or related engineering field preferred.
• Five (5) years of experience in a supervisory/leadership role
• Advanced understanding of oil refining processes (FCC, Reforming, hydrotreating, crude distillation, extraction)
• Experienced in managing in a union environment