PTS Advance is looking for a Seasoned Fire Protection Engineer. This position is located in San Jose, California. This senior-level position requires a self-motivated individual with strong communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills. You should be highly analytical, have the ability to multi-task, and work independently. Strong initiative and follow-through are essential as well as a productive and engaged team member in a fast-paced environment.
This position requires an individual with advanced knowledge and understanding of all aspects of fire protection engineering systems, with a strong emphasis on code interpretations and familiarity with non-standard fire protection systems. The Fire Protection Engineer will work on a variety of projects, providing a very high level of technical leadership as the companies subject matter expert for fire protection. In this role, you will represent the firm in all interactions with clients, contractors, architects, and other project team members, including in-house electrical and mechanical engineers.
Fire Protection Engineer Job Duties:
· Company representive as the fire protection subject matter expert (SME)
· Design life safety and fire protection systems for commercial, institutional, and healthcare facilities, including fire alarm, sprinkler, and special hazard systems.
· Design fire alarm & detection, smoke control systems, supervising station, and mass notification systems.
· Conduct building and fire code reviews and analyses.
· Consult with architects, engineers, and others on building/fire codes and standards.
· Identify risks and design safeguards that aid in preventing, controlling, and mitigating the effects of fires.
· Prepare design packages for fire protection systems, including preparation of documents, calculations, code interpretation reports, drawings, and technical specifications.
· Perform a wide array of design functions, including equipment selections, system sizing, calculations, product specifications, and design layouts for fire protection systems.
· Perform submittal reviews and ensure timely responses to RFI’s.
· Actively participate in construction site walkthroughs and project team meetings.
· Coordinate, support, and communicate with colleagues across disciplines.
· Manage tasks as required to ensure work is completed on time and budget.
· Produce drawings consistent with client requirements and standards.
· Ensure that designs are compliant with Building Codes and NFPA standards.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Revit, AutoCAD, and BIM applications.
· Exceptional interpersonal communication skills - Team player
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Detail-oriented/accurate - Math accuracy
· Takes initiative - Able to meet deadlines
· Good problem solving/decision making skills
· BS in Fire Protection Engineering
· Professional Engineer (PE) License, preferred.
· Strong interpersonal and customer service skills and demonstrated ability to communicate with internal and external business partners.
· Direct experience in design, specification, and construction administration for pre-action and chemical agent fire suppression systems, in addition to wet systems, is required.
· Solid knowledge of building, plumbing, and fire codes and NFPA standards.
· Experience working on large-scale design and construction projects is highly desirable.
· Experience working on highly technical design and construction projects such as Mission Critical, Cleanroom, or Manufacturing projects is highly desirable.
· Client-focused, with a commitment to quality and problem-solving.
· Min. 10 years of direct experience in the evaluation and design of fire protection systems and/or building/fire code consultation.
· Experience in developing contract documents for a wide variety of fire alarm and suppression systems (including special suppression systems).
· Experience in the application of fire zone and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) fire modeling.