Sr Commissioning Engineer
Jupiter, FL Posted: 5/20/2020
Perform Dry Low NOx (DLN) tuning and commissioning activities on industrial gas turbine (IGT) engines used for power generation. This position also includes aerothermal / performance analysis, start-up support and GT controls activities, AutoTune installations, support for RCA activities & sales / tendering support.
Reports to: Manager, Tuning & Controls Group
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform DLN tuning on IGT engines, aerothermal / performance analysis, engine health assessment (operability and reliability), failure diagnostics and RCA analysis.
- Perform controls tasks related to engine commissioning activities as well as troubleshooting of IGT control system hardware and software on control system platforms: GE Mark platforms, Siemens T3000 and TXP, Emerson Ovation and MHI Netmation
- Provide technical support to the sales & tendering teams for new proposals, support commercial projects and coordinate & support readiness reviews.
- Start-up support for new engines as well as modification and upgrades for older frame units. Troubleshoot start-up GT and auxiliary system problems.
- As necessary, support limited redesign of GT components and systems to meet design and performance criteria, such as emissions, hardware life and cost.
- Interact with customer representatives and support the commercial installation, maintenance and operation of systems developed.
- Required to be available via telephone and respond during working and non-working hours.
- Must be able to travel up to 100% of time on very short notice during peak outage seasons (6 months of the year), including international. Annual weighted travel up to 75% of time
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Aerospace Engineering
- Must have 5+ years prior experience related to one of the following
- IGT operation including commissioning activities associated with tuning lean, premixed combustion systems or troubleshooting controls and auxiliary/support systems
- Experience working with lean, premixed combustion system designs and the tradeoffs between emissions and acoustic pulsations in real world applications
- Industrial gas turbine cycle-deck/performance testing, modeling and analysis
- GT control system design, modification and troubleshooting (GE and/or Siemens) and knowledge of detailed GT control philosophy
- Must have strong data gathering, reduction and analysis experience (PI, EXCEL, Matlab, …) and appropriate skillset to draw conclusions and report results
- Experience with Industrial GT general architecture and design a plus
- Candidate should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to manage multiple tasks, priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to program in one or more scientific programming languages highly desirable
- Utilize appropriate design/analysis tools as necessary, such as performance decks, flow circuit programs, 3D modeling (ProE), scheduling (MS PROJECT and VISIO) and others.
- Advanced level of MATLAB and VBA programming skills highly desirable, JAVA and others a plus. Strong computer skills.
- Climbing -- ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
- Balancing -- maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces.
- Stooping/Crouching -- bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
- Kneeling -- bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
- Reaching -- extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Standing -- particularly for sustained periods of time
- Walking -- moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- Pushing & Pulling
- Lifting up to 20 lbs -- raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position.
- Grasping -- applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- Repetitive motion -- substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes.
- The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside.
- The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
- The worker is subject to hazards. Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- The worker is frequently in close quarters, crawl spaces, and other areas that could cause claustrophobia.
- The worker is required to function in narrow aisles or passageways.
- Requires significant travel (air & ground) with short notice.
Already have an account? Log in here