Our client is a successful Engineering, Design and Project Management Company headquartered in Southern California. They have nearly 40 years of experience in effective System Planning, Engineering, and Coordinating of energy, process, utility, and water resource facilities.
They have opportunities for senior principal electrical designers with strong technical capabilities, excellent communication skills, and the desire to help share the continuing development of the company. Current and projected demand for our services is high; including underground electrical infrastructure, distribution, and reliability projects, as well as, gas and liquids pipeline systems, pump and compressor stations, refinery systems, petroleum marine and storage terminals, water and wastewater treatment facilities and alternative fuel handling systems. We are seeking to expand our design capacity and capabilities with the addition of the electrical designers. We offer challenging work in a productive environment, and career opportunities to develop, either along a technical engineering and design track, or transitioning to project engineering and management.
- Function as an electrical design lead on assigned projects and manage other designers as needed.
- Perform site visits to gather field data and verify existing facilities and project requirements.
- Using software tools to perform design calculations such as cable tray sizing, conduit sizing, duct bank sizing, voltage drops, etc.
- Must be able to work in a team environment. Interface with electrical engineers and other disciplines such as project, piping, mechanical, civil/structural, project controls, etc.
- Develop design labor estimate for new proposals. Keep track of project budgets, schedules and change orders. Prioritize and manage multiple tasks/projects with various due dates. Attend coordination and status meetings.
- Provide training and mentoring to junior designers.
- Develop construction drawings, material requirements, and construction cost estimates. Drawings includes single line diagrams, area classification diagrams, grounding, lighting, conduit/cable tray, schematics and wiring diagrams, cable/conduit schedules, installation details, PLC panel layout and I/O schematics, loop diagrams and control system architecture.
- Develop and maintain good professional relationship with clients.
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum work experience of 15 years. Candidate has functioned as a design lead on projects involving medium and low voltage power systems, grounding, lighting, instrumentation and control systems with 10 years in oil and gas industry.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD is required and relevant 3D design experience is a plus. Working knowledge with Microstation is preferable.
- Working knowledge with instrumentation, programmable logic controllers (PLC) and distributed control systems (DCS)
- Candidates must be knowledgeable in electrical design, NEC and API 500. Working experience with electrical construction is required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- A two-year technical certificate in engineering is desirable but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new software, standards, and work processes quickly.