Unit Process Control Engineer
Carson, CA Posted: 10/4/2019
Our client is a major refinery in the Los Angeles area serving the fuel transportation and aviation fuel needs of the western United States. Operates an integrated network of strategic assets that creates and sells refined petroleum products, from feedstock acquisition to wholesale, commercial and retail sales outlets.
Provides process control engineering support for refinery operations and capital projects. Ensures refinery process unit static and dynamic control objectives are met through tuning, development of control strategies and troubleshooting existing regulatory and multi-variable control configurations for continuous operations in refinery process units. Works with variety of departments including Operations, Process Engineering, Reliability Engineering, Economics & Planning and Maintenance as well as outside consultants and vendors.
- Provides process control engineering support for refinery operations and capital projects using dynamic engineering techniques bringing time and frequency domains to normal engineering tools. Ensures process units behave as linearly and predictively as possible. Utilizes Bode plots, Nyquist diagrams, material and energy balances in tuning/troubleshooting and multi-variable control configurations for efficient and profitable operations in refinery process units.
- Provides day-to-day support for multi-variable controllers to ensure model certainty throughout assigned refinery process units. Works with Processing Engineering, Economics & Planning and APC (advanced process control) team, where applicable, for solutions to moderate and more complex problems.
- Stays abreast of latest control technology through attendance at technical seminars and technical training.
- Provides capital and expense project support. Under general supervision, conducts feasibility and simulation studies evaluating economic value and impact on existing control systems’ installations. Reviews project documentation, drawings, equipment specifications and complex loop narratives.
- Participates on teams to support refinery activities such as process unit alarm management defect elimination, Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) and Management of Change (MOC).
- Works extended hours, as required, including nights and weekends in process operations environment and during periods of inclement weather. Accesses areas of refinery requiring use of stairs and/or ladders to inspect control equipment.
- Responds to process unit control upsets during off hours. Shares on-call duty with department engineers.
- Minimum undergraduate degree in chemical, electrical or mechanical engineering required.
- Minimum 7 years process or process controls engineering experience in petrochemical industry required.
- Process control engineering experience including implementing and maintaining regulatory control and/or multi-variable control strategies on DCS preferred.
- Advanced Process Control experience preferred.
Already have an account? Log in here