Our client is a major refinery in the Northern California area serving the fuel transportation and aviation fuel needs of the western United States. Operates an integrated network of strategic assets that creates and sells refined petroleum products, from feedstock acquisition to wholesale, commercial and retail sales outlets.
This position will validate cost forecasting for projects ranging from $2MM to $75MM and requires engagement with various personnel and Engineering/Construction partners on a regular basis to provide guidance on company standards. Additionally, the Cost Engineer will update and maintain databases and tools for ongoing cost forecasting and establish tactical plans to drive cost predictability and cost efficiency in refinery projects and general construction work. This position will support ~40 concurrent projects and work with similar positions in the company to help drive consistency in Capital Projects across the organization.
• Validate and provide guidance to Engineering/Construction partners to deliver and meet expectations on monthly accruals and cost report; transfer to portfolio management databases
• Act as a local subject matter expert to support Project Controls database use (EcoSys)
• Facilitate monthly portfolio review meetings to review project performance with Project Managers and Capital projects leadership team
• Attend Engineering contractor, Project Controls and team meetings as required
• Conduct Cost Lookbacks for all projects, IPA Benchmarking and Internal Benchmarking reviews
• Work with Finance Division Analyst to correct Engineering billing issues in SAP
• Tracking and reporting of project OE PSM/reliability activities and Project Controls KPIs
• Review and analyze Engineering and Construction physical progress tracking
• Review and analyze Cost Engineering management of change, including budget transfers, contingency drawdown and trend logs
• Develop owner project cost estimates and assure estimates provided by Engineering partners
• Conduct Cost and Schedule Risk Assessments for all Capital Projects less than $15MM to generate reasonable contingency for the project
• Collaborate with Project Managers in Project Execution Planning (PEP) to deliver project predictable performance
• Be an active participant in the Project Controls Community of Practice
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Accounting or Business
• At least 3 years of experience in Project Controls
• Minimum of 4 years’ relative experience in a Project Controls role with an engineering or construction company will be considered in lieu of academic requirement
• Proficiency in Project Controls, Finance Procurement and Planning tools (ex: EcoSys, SAP, Ariba, Maximo, Primavera, Power BI and Microsoft Office).
• Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to interface with varied audiences ranging from technical design professionals to field construction contractors.
• Understanding of Risk analysis and contingency assessments
• Ability to conduct project lookbacks assessments
• CPMS qualification