For more than 3 consecutive years, our client has been a top 5 ENR rated Engineering, Construction, and Professional Services firm. They are leaders in engineering, design, architecture, construction, and O&M for projects globally. They work in oil & gas, power, infrastructure, government, defense and facilities environments. They are seeking 3 Controls Systems Designers to join their team in Long Beach, CA to support a backlog of refinery related projects in Southern California.
• 10+ years of lead role or related experience on medium sized or larger capital projects, from project inception to startup. AAS or better in engineering or related discipline reduces requirement by 1-2 years.
• Experience in oil & gas, refinery, petrochemical, and/or polymer plant design
• Current knowledge of EPC work processes, administrative practices as well as familiarity with the various project phases and the scope/deliverables required for each; business acumen for lump sum and cost plus projects
• Broad knowledge base in DCS/PLC/SIS system wiring practices, instrumentation installations, analytical systems installations, instrument location plan development, and construction support.
• Excellent communication skills
• CADD Drafting skills (AutoCAD and/or Microstation, Blue Beam - Latest Versions)
• Advanced MS Office skills (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
• Database Instrumentation tool experience (SPI/Intools,) preferred.
• Works with other Control Systems Design personnel assigned to the project team
• Works to resolve staff discipline problems, personality conflicts, poor work habits, etc. that affect the project and execution of the work; when resolution cannot be achieved by the Lead Designer on the project task force the Discipline Manager is to be engaged
• Gain a full understanding of the project scope in order to coordinate and participate in the development of the Control Systems design effort-hour estimates
• Responsible for obtaining cost related information and developing scope of work documents for estimates
• Monitor the effort-hour budget, define and provide input on the staffing plan and schedule to insure that project design objectives are met, and execution is within the approved budget
• Responsible for reporting on package status to the project manager and department manager and performing monthly or bi-weekly assessments of progress (using EIT program)
• Responsible for tracking key material quantities maintaining a clear understanding and ownership of the impacts on the TIC (Total Installed Cost).
• Initiate PDNs (Project Deviation Notices i.e. change orders) that impact the Control Systems TIC budget, effort-hour budget and/or schedule
• Ensure that the technical content of all design deliverables meet quality expectations; insure drawings, designs and inputs to other disciplines are appropriately reviewed and approved
• Monitor all design activities to assure conformance with company work instructions and SOPs; insure adherence to client and/or company specifications, governing codes and good engineering/design practice
• Maintain or manage the design portions of the computer based instrument list and I/O list; maintain or manage the technical content through regular updates
• Coordinate and cooperate with the other disciplines to ensure the smooth flow of all Control Systems design information on the project task force, and to ensure alignment with project requirements
• Participate in weekly status meetings with the Control Systems team to convey department news, assess and discuss project issues, coordinate/plan key milestone efforts, etc.