Electrical Engineer – Industrial/Refinery
Our client is a major refinery in California area serving the fuel transportation and aviation fuel needs of the western United States. Operates an integrated network of strategic assets that creates and sells refined petroleum products, from feedstock acquisition to wholesale, commercial and retail sales outlets.
They are seeking an Electrical Engineer to provide Electrical Engineering and Maintenance technical expertise in all areas pertaining to plant electrical systems to ensure safe, environmentally sound and profitable operation in Los Angeles County.
This will be a long term multi-year assignment.
This person will be responsible for:
• Manage capital and maintenance projects which includes engineering, design, budget, schedule, construction, and interfacing with other departments and engineering firms.
• Provide technical expertise for capital and maintenance projects pertaining to refinery equipment, including power distribution systems, motor controls, switch gear, UPS systems, and substations.
• Oversee application and interpretation of the National Electric Code and other applicable codes and standards (e.g. NFPA, API).
• Oversee adherence to city and county regulations including special equipment approvals (U.L. or equal) and building permits.
• Direct and advise the application of Company standards in electrical design, equipment specification, construction and testing.
• Determine hazardous area classifications and oversee application of appropriate equipment.
• Manage electrical system expansion to provide appropriate capacity, orderly growth, reliability, maintainability and expandability.
• Make recommendations regarding reliability of standard power distribution systems and application of backup systems (e.g. emergency generators, uninterruptible power supplies).
• Manage handling of power requests and coordinate with other proposed projects or ones in progress.
• Review equipment specifications and drawings for projects pertaining to equipment location, single-line, area classification and schematic drawings.
• Recommend/approve vendors for purchase of equipment and provide technical review of bids.
• Contribute to cost estimate of projects.
• Provide long range planning for electrical long range plans.
• Assure proper instructions and training for operations use of electrical equipment, including start up, operations, shutdown, lock out and emergency conditions.
• Conduct system analysis studies (load flow, voltage drop, short circuit, relay coordination, etc.) and work to correct deficiencies.
- Medium voltage system engineering and design for 5kV, 15kV, 38kV, and up.
- Specification of medium voltage switchgear, transformers, motors, etc.
- Very familiar with gas insulated switchgear (GIS), metal-clad switchgear, MV and LV motor control centers
i. Arc-resistant switchgear or arc flash rated switchgear
- Detailed engineering and design of medium and low voltage like wiring diagrams, schematics, one line diagrams, three line diagrams
- Able to sketch/draw plan drawings, wire/cable routing, elevation details, underground duct banks, cable tray layouts. Develop panel schedules, conduit schedules, material take offs
- Able to provide cost estimates (up to FEL-0, FEL-1 stages).
- Familiar and able to distinguish different area classifications.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
• 7+ years of experience
• Have a dominant safety focus.
• Complete complex assignments in a timely manner.
• Good communication skills, both written and verbal, are required.
• Registered Professional Engineer.
• Prior work experience in industrial power distribution systems.
Apply now for immediate and confidential consideration!
PTS Staffing offers a comprehensive benefits package for qualified employees which includes Medical (with employer contribution), Dental, Vision, 401k program, direct deposit, and the option to accrue PTO
PTS is an Equal Opportunity Employer