Houston, TX Posted: 5/3/2019
Job Description – Mechanical Engineer
Our client is seeking a candidate to fill a full time Mechanical Process Engineering position in our Houston, Texas office. This is an Industry Market position.
We are looking for a process industry (petro-chemical industry) experienced Mechanical Process Engineer to be responsible for leading mechanical engineering consulting services on COMPANY projects that include industrial process engineering. Projects may include rail car cleaning, rail loading/unloading facilities, oil & gas projects, or similar projects for our Industry market clients. This person will work to grow COMPANYs engineering practice serving industrial clients. COMPANY has depth of experience in mechanical engineering related to HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection, and Commissioning and is seeking to expand into process engineering capabilities with this position. This 10 to 15 year experienced engineer will work with a junior process engineer and other mechanical engineers as needed to execute projects. While work will primarily be for the Industrial market, this position may support other markets with architectural and commercial HVAC and plumbing type projects as workload demands. It is expected that the successful candidate will excel at their technical skills, be willing to learn project and/or design team management, engage and interact with clients, and have interest in new business development.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Assessing project requirements.
- Writing/editing/reviewing project scopes of work, reports, and documentation
- Developing budgets, schedules, and specifications with clients and project managers
- Understanding and creating Process Flow Diagrams, P&IDs, and other industrial project related documents, and understanding client project and design processes associated therewith
- Develop plans and related documents; perform mathematical calculations and 3D modeling; and prepare plans, isometrics, details, specifications, bill of materials, estimates of cost, and other related requirements as part of the overall bidding/construction documents package.
- Investigate field conditions and read and comprehend as-built drawings, construction specifications, codes and regulations, and technical information necessary to develop drawings.
- Assist with early procurement of long-lead equipment and provide technical review of vendor proposals.
- Perform site visits to client’s facilities to obtain existing condition information and to observe construction progress as required.
- Perform calculations and provide engineering solutions to complex problems with limited oversite while simultaneously mentoring junior staff and staff who do not normally work within the process industry.
- Undertaking relevant research
- Producing and implementing designs and test procedures
- Presenting designs to project managers and clients
- Adhere to project deadlines and keep supervising staff informed of any difficulties encountered on assignments.
- Coordinate with clients, project engineers, client departments, manufacturers, and others to understand, develop, and deliver drawings and specifications.
- Maintain technical knowledge with regard to computers, software, and design techniques.
- Learn and adapt to new programs, and adjust to changes in product and client demands.
- Execute and adhere to quality assurance and project documentation requirements.
- Other duties as assigned
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering is required.
- P.E. is required.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in design of industrial process piping and systems.
- Project and/or design team management experience is a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) is required.
- Must have familiarity with Computer Aided Drafting software, AutoCAD Plant 3D preferred.
- Experience with Autodesk Navisworks and Autodesk Recap is a plus.
- Experience with computer pipe stress analysis is a plus (Cesar or similar software).
- Industrial piping design experience is required.
- Candidate must be coachable and have a willingness to work in a diverse setting with little oversite.
- Ability to interact with clients’ engineer(s) is a must.
- Must be able to communicate complex technical concepts to engineers, clients, and public stakeholders using good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to build effective relationships with internal and external client bases.
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member to problem solve and learn new technical skills.
- Interest in experiencing a variety of assignments is important.
- Must also be self-motivated, friendly, positive, accurate, and pay strict attention to detail and direction.
Working at COMPANY:
- Must be able to collaborate remotely with colleagues in other offices.
- Must be willing to accept periodic out-of-town travel assignments.
- Must be willing and able to work overtime to meet project demands and deadlines.
- Must be willing to work as a team member in an extremely fast paced work environment.
Already have an account? Log in here