IT Systems Administrator - Tyler, TX.
Position Summary: Responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, and virtualization. Install and upgrade computer components and software, maintain virtual servers, troubleshoot hardware and software errors, document problems and resolutions. Monitor regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures. Assist with desktop support efforts to ensure all desktop applications, workstations, and related equipment problems are resolved in a timely manner with limited disruption to end users.
Education Requirement: Associate or Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, System Administration, or a closely related field, or equivalent experience required. System administration and IT certifications in Microsoft, or other network related fields are a plus.
Experience Requirement: Working knowledge of virtualization, VMWare, strong knowledge of systems and networking software, hardware, and networking protocols, 5+ years of database, network administration, or system administration experience, Microsoft Office products, relational databases, Windows Operating Systems, and/or direct computing support activities including knowledge of equipment, application software, and operating system software required.
Excellent communication skills required to interact with internal and external contacts as well as all levels of management.
Demonstrate thorough understanding of primary function/system for an area, understanding both functional and technical knowledge, ability to diagnose complex problems and handle multiple problems simultaneously that may cross multiple departments/systems and impact numerous end users or areas of the business, ability to prioritize and work autonomously, ability to formulate new or better process or ideas, establish effective working relationships and communicate appropriately according to level of understanding, and ability to lead and/or attend meetings to represent area.
Ability to identify an issue, analyze, and research the problem, and begin to formulate a solution and/or recommendation.
Refinery business and operations knowledge preferred.
- Work on complex applications systems analysis and software systems programming applications or configuration.
- Conduct research to learn current trends in technology, generate improvement suggestions, and present findings to supervisors.
- Develop training material/documentation.
- Train others in the work group as required.
- Customer Service oriented.
- Provide on-site support of computing hardware and software, to include the most complex needs analysis, configuration, installation, moves, and changes for location.
- Perform research and repair activity, including vendor coordination, necessary to ensure computer service for all supported locations.
- Identify, isolate, and repair of equipment and software effecting computer network service to all supported locations.
- Knowledge of and comfort level working inside of AD.
- Configure computer peripherals including printers, copiers,
- Evaluate new and existing software products.
- Some travel may be required.
- Other duties as required may be assigned.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and may occasionally be required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The individual must be able to take 24-hour call including weekdays, nights, weekends and holidays and may be required to work extended hours as required. Must be able to wear fire retardant clothing, and other related PPE when addressing issues in the refinery. Must be able to travel by common carrier as required.